Monday, October 6, 2008

Who Has Purple Hair

Last night, I decided to dye my hair. I like to change hair color occasionally and refuse to pay a professional to do it (what can I say, I'm cheap). This time, I went with burgundy. It is a kind of dark reddish brown. I love the color, but I don't think I had enough dye. There seem to be spots of the old brown shining through.

Anyway, my follicular issues are not the subject here. The bigger issue is Libby's reaction when she finally noticed it this morning. It completely distracted her from her current campaign to avoid school.

This Wednesday, her class is taking some kind of physical fitness test where she has to run a mile and do push ups and pull ups (I think there may be jumping jacks involved too). Libby is a very active kid, but does not like organized exercise. She can play the Wii Fit for hours, but tell her she has to run around a track with her classmates and she rebels. She spent most of the morning trying to convince me to let her stay home from school, but suddenly, in the midst of her campaign, she noticed my hair.

"Mommy, why is your hair purple?" She asked. "It's isn't purple, it's burgundy." I replied (some may think I was sidestepping the question, I believe I was clarifying). "What did you DO to you hair?" Do you notice a trend here? Does she sound more like the mommy or is it my imagination? Luckily, it completely distracted her from her campaign to stay home. She was too busy at the bus stop telling anyone who would listen, "I can't believe my mom dyed her hair purple."

It's Not Purple, It's Burgundy.

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/SmallTownMommy

14 comments:

mrsbear said...

You've got to appreciate the brutal honesty of children. I don't know how many times my oldest has looked at me and said, "You're not going to wear that are you?" or quite simply "You look weird." Ah, thanks. Let me rethink my fashion choices then. Purple is the new brunette. ;-)

Elle said...

I'll do anything to distract them from the "don't want to go to school today" song and dance. I bet it looks great! I was at Bunco the other night and there was a chick there with pink streaks in her hair. She was the funnest person there that night.

savvysuzie said...

Nice :) At least it's actually burgundy....back in the day I was coloring blonde, and out of the blue decided to go dark red. Yeeeahhh....when I rinsed the color out, what was left behind was FUSCHIA. No getting around THAT one.

hellokittiemama said...

Ha! My hair is purple then too - since I recently went with "burgundy" also... The thing that drives me nuts about the reds is how fast they fade out.

On The Verge said...

Sounds like my girls. They always tell me like it is. I think purple hair is cool!

Synchronicity Hosting said...

lol - oh I can relate. In fact I have hair issues every other time I dye my hair - If I didn't loathe the idea of wasting all that time sitting in the chair at a salon I'd just do it. I should take some photos of my next "original"

Robyn

clair said...

I think purple hair is cool, just a little hard to coordinate with the clothes, bag and shoes though ;)

jenn said...

When I was 19 or so, I dyed my younger sisters hair that color. My dad freaked! He made us dye it 3 more times that week until it was "presentable" again. I, personally, loved the look of the burgundy. I'm sure you lood awesome!

Sandi said...

haha once, long ago, I also ended up with a purple-ish tint. I tried a new hair dye, fresh on the market that was supposed to be oh sooooo good for your hair. It was a light blonde. So how it turned purple God only knows. I stick to the same color now. I never stray from the faithful one! lol

Laura said...

SHe sounds like she has a flair for the dramatic -- like my 10 year old. Everything is to the extreme. Aren't they great!

Grandmother Wren said...

ah, yes... I remember dying my hair the color of eggplant (excuse me, Burgundy...)a few years ago.

Then there was my baa, baa, black sheep phase when I decided that a perm and the supposed-to-be-auburn- but-was-really-jet-black hue would be just the thing.
Lovely.
A co-worker tried to make me feel better about it by telling me it reminded her of Elizabeth Taylor.
Lovely.

I stick with the lighter shades now.

Jenni Jiggety said...

Uhhhh....I think we need a picture of the hair!

And I always hated that physical fitness day at school. Bah.

Laurel said...

distraction is good, heheh. (saying hi from Twitter Moms)

badgermama said...

Purple goes with *everything*!!

8-)