Sunday, October 12, 2008

Report on Blogher

As you may know, I attended Blogher Boston on Saturday, October 12 (yesterday). It was definitely beneficial. There were a number of seminars that are great for beginning bloggers. I didn't attend any of them. Since I am also a marketing professional on the side (until this blogging thing catches on), I attended the seminars on social media. I have a number of clients who are interested in learning what social media can do for them and I thought this would be helpful for putting together their plans. The first session ended up being different ideas to grow your readership (which helped the blogging side, Yay) and the second was some of the leading social media marketers from the Boston area which can definitely help the marketing side.

There was some great swag there. I got an amazing pair of slippers from Shine from Yahoo and some cute stuffed animals for the girls from Leapfrog. I tried to convince the people from LG to let me have one of their new, cute purple phones, but I got a pen (it is a very nice pen, with a laser pointer and USB drive, but I can't get it to make phone calls).

I know a few of my readers are bloggers so I am going to share a few things that I wish someone had told me...

Bring business cards: Apparently all bloggers (except me) have business cards for their blogs. Make sure you bring them with you. People expect you to hand them the cards so if you don't have them, you just feel dumb (trust me, I experienced this first hand).

If you don't have a well-defined subject, define it before you arrive: Obviously, I am the lamest blogger out there. The first question another blogger will ask is, "What do you blog about?" The other bloggers are talking about subjects like parenting, marketing, politics, cooking, etc. Interesting, informative subjects. All I could think of were the 2 posts I did about coloring my hair. Yes, I really am this shallow, get used to it.

Bring a laptop: This one I actually did. You may want to check something online during the sessions or read your email when the panel starts babbling (not that any of the panels I attended included babbling, nope, never, wouldn't dream of it).

Overall, I recommend the conferences, especially if you are new to blogging and looking to grow or monetize your site. They also offer tech help from a professional tech guru so you can ask all of your bloggy questions to someone who might actually be able to answer them.

On another note, we (mostly my techie husband) are going to be moving my blog from blogger to its true home at www.smalltownmommy.com. It might be ugly, but I am going to try to make it as easy as possible for you. I will keep you posted.

Follow me on Twitter




9 comments:

Tyler @ Building Camelot said...

Great information! I've never been to a Blogher conference but I'd like the chance to go one day. Were there any guys there?

Elle said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I never would've thought of business cards. I would've been scribbling on post-it notes and grocery receipts I pulled out of my purse. Good luck with the blog move.

Cindi @ Moomettesgram's Musings said...

Thanks for the tips, especially about the biz cards for a blog ~ What a great opportunity you had to go to Boston ~ hope BlogHer comes to town again ~ Swag is a new term for me ~ will have to try to keep up with the new social networking language!

mrsbear said...

Useful information. I would not have known what to say if someone asked me what I blog about. At least you've got the hair thing down. ;-) Good luck with the move.

Sandra Foyt said...

Thanks for the tips, especially about the business cards. Did you happen to notice what was on the cards - name, URL, Email, anything else? Can you tell I don't have a blog business card either?

Liz said...

Hey! Nice post. I'm still convinced we're distant cousins. Well, maybe me and your husband. 8-) The question about "what do you blog about" still throws me and I usually don't know what to say other than "My life, and everything." Because I have a couple of topical or focused blogs, but my "real blog" is 5 million words of diary.

Debbie said...

You may have hit upon a great niche blog. How many of us do you think don't color our hair? Pretty good size audience!

KMP (Keep Me Posted) said...

Nice post. I just joined BlogHer today, I wished I lived in Boston so that I could've attended the seminar. I recently got business cards made for my blog, and I also purchased my own domain (these two are very important if you are serious about blogging).

I can see why they ask for the cards and also that famous question "what do you blog about?" My answer to that is "mainly life tips, but a little of everything, events, interviews, money, etc...) My blog is about Keeping YOU posted."

Someone asked what info should go on your business card?!
My suggestion would be to keep it simple. A card with too much info, is a like a boring thesis paper. People dont like to read too much. My card is my logo and my blog address. If anyone needs to email me they can find my contact info on the blog. Your main mission is to get people to come to your blog, not call you or email you.

I hope this was helpful and your post was helpful to me. Good luck on the move to your new domain. :)

KMP

Lydia said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have never been to one either. Great tips. Any classes about taking over the world? lol