Saturday, October 18, 2008

Devastation at Home

As you can tell by the name of my blog, we live in a small town. Here in Connecticut, small town usually means more trees than people. We have a lot of trees in our yard, many of which grow out in the swamp (oh sorry, the conservation people call them wetlands) in our back yard. Today, a group of our neighbors came over to take down a bunch of our trees. The trees are all in the front yard, blocking the sun and menacing the house every time we get a strong wind. The trees had to come down and it is cheaper to have the neighbors do it than to have a tree guy come and take care of it (although if they hit the house, that will cease to be the case).

Anyway, it turns out that both of my kids are tree huggers. Who knew? They are very upset about the trees coming down and there has been crying for days about it. Both have identified "their" trees that are not allowed to come down. So far, Joanna's trees have bit the dust. We will see what happens with Libby's. Now, they are both on a hunger strike, refusing to eat anything (which may be more due to the SmartFood consumed at 3:30 rather than true upset, but I guess we will see when the pizza arrives).

I was able to distract them with Bee Movie (thank you, Jerry Seinfeld). And Libby is now outside raking all our leaves with the other neighborhood kids. Although, I am not sure what will happen at bedtime. I have the feeling we are in for a long night as everyone's emotions come to a peak about the loss of their trees.

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/SmallTownMommy


9 comments:

On The Verge said...

That is cute. You will have to remind them of this when they grow up. Good luck with bedtime.

mrsbear said...

Oh no, pint sized activists! There are worse things, although I'm not going to be envying you the next couple of days. Down with the trees, I say! Hope your kids put their hunger strike on hiatus and were able to down some pizza.

bingkee said...

Oh I'm in CT too. Right here in New Haven-Hamden area. Hello neighbor!

Cindi @ Moomettesgram's Musings said...

Waiving Hi from CT too up the road on 91 ~ I don't consider myself a 'tree hugger' but I always feel a tug at my *heart* when an old tree comes down. I can't imagine living without feeling enveloped by trees, and all the history they've witnessed. Good for your kiddos.

Daisy said...

Your kids sound like they have kind hearts.

Signe said...

Poor kids! They get so attached...my dd had a tree she loved at my grandparent's house and was so sad when it got hit by lightning.

daysgoby said...

Oh, you might miss them too...

Leanne said...

Ah, good for them. But, bad for you. I hope it all works out at bedtime...

On The Verge said...

Come over to my blog. I gave you two awards!