Sunday, September 14, 2008

Love and Laundry

I have a love-hate relationship with my laundry. I love having a closet full of clean clothes for the upcoming week at work. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling of security when I have a drawer full of "warm from the dryer socks and underwear" (I know I should talk to my therapist about this... but I don't have a therapist).

But I hate actually doing the laundry. I hate moving heavy wet laundry from the washer to the dryer. I hate how long it takes to fold what seems to be hundreds of pairs of tiny underwear, socks and t-shirts. I hate that I can only do one load of laundry a day because we have a septic tank and apparently too much laundry can ruin the scum level (how I feel about being responsible for something called a scum level is another story and another therapy session).

It's not like I can complain about my machines, they work fine. And my laundry room is upstairs with the bedrooms so I don't even have to carry the laundry up and down the stairs like so many people do. I really have it better than a lot of people. But for some reason, I have always found laundry overwhelming. I remember when Libby was born, my mother hired a doula to help me out (my mom wanted to help, but didn't want to be the one actually taking orders). The doula lasted less than a week. All I wanted her to do was laundry (she, of course, wanted to help out with the baby, but the baby was my new toy and I wanted to play with her).

I am sure that if you are as disorganized as I am (or maybe no one is as disorganized as I am), you have had a child come into your room (usually fifteen minutes before the bus comes or you have to leave for something) telling you they have nothing to wear. I always wonder what they expect me to do. Should I pull clean laundry out of my tush? I think they believe that I am hiding the good clean laundry in my room so they don't get to wear it and only leaving them with the lame clean laundry.

But I digress. The point here is that I am wondering if any of my readers have any tips to try to make laundry a little less intimidating. I am not sure they even exist and this may just be my personal demon, but I am happy to accept any suggestions.


Follow me on Twitter

3 comments:

Christy said...

The only suggestion I have is that I make sure I do at least one load/day. Even if it's only that one load, it helps me stay on top of it. If I let that one load go, I end up being behind and having to do crazy panic loads at 11pm, which never, ever works.
I hope you figure out what works for you. Laundry can be a major pain!

Carole said...

I don't have any good suggestions for you, but how about some empathy? I don't actually mind DOING the laundry, it's the putting AWAY the laundry that is the roadblock for me. I have all the laundry done AND folded and there it sits for days in the basket. Why won't I just take that last step and put it away? WHY?!?

Anne Albanese said...

I don't know how old your kids are, but I have a set of shelves with 4 bins. Everyone is required to put away their own laundry. My little one (the 5 year old) needs a little help, but she is learning. At least that way, I only have to worry about putting away my own laundry. If you have room for shelves, I highly recommend it.