Monday, August 11, 2008

What You Don't Know

Yesterday, I was taking Libby to a birthday party and she told me that the reason we have so many deer in our area is that white-tailed deer like marshes. We live surrounded by swamp (sorry, in Connecticut, it is called wetlands, which allows the state to keep me from filling it in to create a backyard). I was so amazed by that. First of all, I had no idea that white-tailed deer liked marshes. Second, I love it when Libby tells me something I don't know.

For those of you with younger kids, you will find that as your kids get older they know all kinds of things that you know nothing about. There are so many times when we are out and about in town and a strange child will come up to Libby and give her a big hug. I never know any of these kids and since Libby is so bad with names, she usuallyoften doesn't know their names either.

As our kids get older, they are supposed to grow into people who are separate from their parents, but it still surprises me every time it is demonstrated. Libby has different opinions, thoughts and ideas from me and I sometimes wonder where they originate. I wish I could be a fly on the wall watching her all day. I love listening to her and watching her develop into a unique individual. I can only hope that she will grow up to be a good person who will be kind to people, happy and successful.

No comments: