Thursday, August 21, 2008

Stew Leonard's

Frank and Libby had a daddy daughter date yesterday, so Joanna and I went to Stew Leonard's. If you are not from New England, you may have never heard of Stew Leonard's (although we did study it in one of my MBA classes). Stew Leonard's calls itself a grocery store, but has much more to entertain the kids. The company management also demonstrates genius marketing techniques which is why MBA students study it.

First of all, you can't just run in and pick something up. The store is a maze and if you don't follow the designated path through the entire store, you may be lost forever. Second, if you show up with kids, they have performing animatronics throughout the store. You have to stop at each one and they have inviting displays of products set up at each character (so moms or dads can shop while the kids are entertained.

On another note, I am having shoulder surgery tomorrow. I don't know how long I will be out of commission, but I am hoping to arrange for a guest blogger. Hopefully, Libby will be filling in for me while I am incapacitated.

No comments: