Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Babies

A woman from my office is pregnant with her first child(she is being induced today), so for the last few weeks, I have been thinking a lot about when Libby was born. Don’t worry, this is not going to be a boring story about Libby’s delivery. For some reason, it is a fascinating story, but no one wants to hear about it.

I remember it as if it was yesterday (even though it was more than nine years ago). I was lucky, a good friend of ours was due a few weeks before we were, so I had someone to be pregnant with (not only that, but she went two weeks late and I went a week early so we had the girls 3 days apart).

I still remember the excitement and anxiety in equal measure. I wanted the baby to come, but was afraid the baby would come. I was also getting tired of carting around another person everywhere I went. I couldn’t wait for Frank to have a chance to hold her (and give me a rest).

My water broke at home (in fact, the fluid missed the cat by about 3 inches). Once we got to the hospital, things seemed to move fast, but slow. Finally, Libby joined the world (at which point, I didn’t care if she was a boy or girl, as long as she was out).

Since Tammy is starting her maternity leave, I have been thinking about my maternity leave too. It is all kind of a blur. I remember watching a lot of The Real World (this was before Tivo and soap operas required too much concentration. The Real World was just a bunch of badly behaved kids, you didn’t have to track a story).

Maternity leave is really an amazing time, but most moms are too tired to appreciate it. I had a doula to help with housework (until we drove her away with Frank’s dirty laundry. It is enough to scare anyone). You don’t think about it at the time, but it is an opportunity to be completely dedicated to this one little person. For moms at least, you are able to stay home from work and you are excused from many other of the commitments of life.

When I stayed home with the girls last week, my day was like that. I wonder if that is what stay-at-home moms experience every day. I doubt it. I don’t think anyone could maintain that type of intensity forever.

No comments: