Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's Blueberry Season

This morning, we took the girls blueberry picking at Jones Family Farm. We try to take them fruit picking a couple of times a year. I think it is good for them to see that fruit comes from someplace besides the grocery store and I like fresh produce. We lucked out. Usually, since blueberry season is in July and August, it is extremely hot. The blueberry bushes are on top of a hill and the sun beats down to cook you as you pick. Today was cloudy so without the sun, it was almost comfortable. Libby, my nutty girl, wanted to bring a sweater. Yes, I am aware it is August. I am not sure why she wanted to wear her sweater, but we convinced her she didn't need it. About an hour into picking, she told me she was glad she didn't bring it.

To get to the blueberry bushes, pickers have to take something called the Berry Ferry. Yes, they really call it that.

The bushes were somewhat picked over, but luckily, my crazy family likes slightly unripe berries because they are a little more sour. So, we got lots of berries and I am hoping to to make jam tomorrow. If I do, I will let you know how it goes.

No comments: