Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wii Fit

This weekend, along with the typical swimming, cookouts with friends and the birthday honor for my mom, we spent a lot of time using our Wii Fit. If you are not familiar with the Wii Fit, it is a video game with a balance board that interprets the user's movements. It offers a variety of different exercise games. We have had it for about a month, but between work, Libby's birthday, and the traveling we have been doing, I haven't had much time to play.

This weekend changed things and I can now offer an experienced review of the machine. My feeling is it is a lot of fun. I know it is not as effective as going to the gym, but it is certainly better for you than sitting on the couch. The aerobic exercises definitely work up a sweat. There is a boxing game that is a lot of fun (part of the reason I like it may be because I have the high score).

The nice thing is even Joanna can do some of the games. There is a game called table tilt. You have to move your body to direct marbles into a hole on a board. she managed to get the fourth highest score, beating other scores from the rest of the family. I am hoping this will help her develop her gross motor skills (maybe she will be the most coordinated little girl in kindergarten next year).

Some of the games don't respond as well as they could (although that could be my lack of coordination). There is a soccer game where you have to head balls as they are kicked at you that I can not get the hang of it. Libby is great at it, but I can't get the control. The control for skiing and snowboarding is not very realistic either which is confusing for anyone who skis (again, Libby is very good at this, but she has never been skiing).

If you have a Wii, the Fit provides great family fun (an added benefit is all the laughing at the funny moves the rest of the family makes). There is a lot of lunging, bending and reaching which is funny (as well as the tripping over your own feet). You need to have a sense of humor about yourself, and you need to stick with it. It really is fun for the whole family.

No comments: