Sunday, July 20, 2008

Raspberry Bushes

When I was growing up, we had a patch of raspberry bushes on the side of our house. They just grew wild and I used to love to go out and pick raspberries and just eat as I picked. Fast forward (OK, I'm not going to be specific, it is none of your business how many) a number of years and here I am in my own home with my own family. The one thing I have always wanted at my house are raspberry bushes. We have looked at every garden store, etc. to see about buying bushes and have not been able to find them. Anytime we speak with someone who has them, it is like a secret club. They always say, "I don't know where they came from, they just grow everywhere."

Now, a friend has agreed to let us into the secret club. Friends have more raspberry bushes than I have ever seen anyplace except at the farm where we pick them. They have offered to let us dig up a couple of the bushes they don't use and transplant them into our own yard. I can't wait, I am so excited! I did some research and raspberries can be transplanted at any time and are very easy to grow. Hopefully, in a couple of years, I will be able to make jam from our own berries rather than having to pay to pick them. I feel like I have been invited to join the Freemasons.

No comments: