Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Montauk Monster

The Montauk Monster caught my eye because I spent my summers growing up in Montauk. For those of you who are not from the East Coast, the Montauk Monster is represented in a photo that is circulating around the Internet. Originally published by Gawker, the photo is of a carcass of an animal that was found on the beach and nobody knows what it is.

The controversy surrounding the Montauk Monster is only possible because of the Internet. The Internet has provided the opportunity to express an opinion in public for anyone who wants it. The random public can post comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. on most Internet stories, allowing people to publish their opinion or thoughts no matter how silly.

I think the Montauk Monster is probably a dog (although East Hampton animal control claims it is a raccoon). The problem with a small town like Montauk is you wind up with low-level town officials who are willing to express an opinion without any fact to back it up. A big city like New York has media relations people who are experienced and trained to speak with the media and the rest of the team knows not to speak with the media.

I know the Montauk Monster has nothing to do with me, I just thought it was interesting since the blogosphere is going wild.

No comments: