Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monday was Mom Day

Yesterday morning, my au pair fell apart. Not literally, but a very close friend of hers died and she found out about it Monday morning. I was on my way to work, on the phone with Frank, when she came downstairs in tears. I rushed back (after 50 minutes of my hour commute) to see if working from home would help. I got home and she was a mess, so I spent the day with the girls.

I feel horrible about what she is going through, but I had such a good time. I love spending time with the girls and usually, I get mostly the bad parts (grumpiness, telling them no, discipline, etc.). Yesterday, I got to spend the whole day with them. The three of us worked together on a chalk drawing in the street (yes, Libby and Joanna actually worked together). I even got to see a couple of neighbors of ours (since I am rarely around, I never see the neighbors). we went out to lunch (my ultimate goals is for the three of us to become ladies who lunch). After lunch, the girls had two friends over (one for each). They (and I) are lucky enough to have friends who are sisters so there is one for each of them to play with. It was an amazing day and I wish I could have more days where I get to spend them with my girls. I know, most stay-at-home moms would tell me they aren't all like this, but I find it harder and harder to leave my girls every day.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I love the story about your day with the girls, Anne. It must be really fun to have TWO daughters to hang out with and over time I know you will have many many more happy days.

I also agree totally with the shopping for a 9 year old. Gosh even for the 5's I find the clothes so strange. I am so glad you feel the same way I do about clothes for children.


(I never know if what I buy is too babyish for all of the little girls in our family but I would rather get those and have the Moms give things away than buy some of the stuff I see!!!) You are a a very sensible and loving Mom!