Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Hate Orthopedists

I know, I know, I tell the girls all the time, "We don't use the word hate (especially when referring to our sister)." But, this time, I am justified. As many of you know, I have been having trouble with my shoulder for a year. I had surgery right after Christmas and was assured it would be better in a couple of months. It still hurts. For months, my doctor was making me feel like it was all my fault, I wasn't working hard enough on my exercises. Now, he has realized I have been working very hard, and has decided I need surgery again (apparently, I have something called a torn bursa). I don't want surgery again (I didn't really want it the first time).

I already told him he sucked up all my vacation with the last surgery and I don't have time to schedule another surgery. He seemed surprised that I was objecting so strenuously. I can't imagine that all of his patients just jump at the chance to have surgery again, but maybe they don't question his expertise. I have been accepting his treatments through multiple cortisone shots (which really, really hurt by the way), surgery, therapy, and more cortisone shots. I think it is about time to question his expertise (since it hasn't worked for me so far). Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

I am just not sure what to do. When a doctor told me I needed knee surgery, I decided I would just live with it the way it was (it ended my potential professional ski career, but I was never that great a skier in the first place and I don't really like the cold), but I don't think I can just live with this. It seems to limit regular activity more than my knee does.

I promise, this blog will not devolve into posting after posting of me complaining about my aches and pains (who wants to read that), but I am hoping someone might have some thoughts on solutions that don't involve putting me to sleep and sticking a large implement into my shoulder. Feel free to send me an email if you dont want to post in comments below. Click here to send an email.

No comments: