Monday, June 23, 2008

Lefties Rule

I just read an interesting opinion piece in the NY Times. According to the article, For the fifth time in the last 35 years, the incoming president will be left-handed. Being left-handed myself, I am partial to southpaws.

According to author Chris McManus, left-handed people' brains are structured differently than right-handed people, which widens their range of abilities. Left-handed people also use visual simultaneous processing when processing information, making them better at multi-tasking.

Only 7-10% of the population is left-handed. Because of this, it is difficult to find tools designed for left handers. Scissors, knives, and even computer mice are designed for right-handed people. In fact, I always use my mouse backwards so I can hold it in my left hand.

Even without knowing the reason, it is significant that more than 50% of presidents in the last 35 years are left-handed. Hopefully, whichever candidate wins, the left-handedness will allow him to be a successful president and fix the country.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Yes, you are right. Three of the six people in our immediate family are lefties and you know how much I respect their abilities since we have talked about this before.

Love your blog!!!!!