Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kid's Activities Are Trying to Kill Me

Like everyone's kids these days, my girls do way too many activities. This really hits home in late May and June as everyone has to have their final performance. In an earlier post, I mentioned Joanna's ballet performance, but this week, everyone is uniting to try to kill me. Now, I understand that there are many moms in our region who do not work, but I dont think those of us who do should be descriminated against. This week, we are supposed to attend two gymnastic shows, a girl scout meeting, a playdate, and a weekend girl scout trip. Now, not everything requires a mom's presence. Although I am an assistant leader for my daughter's girl scout troop, my co-leader is hosting the meeting alone. In addition, the playdate is with Joanna's best friend whose mom is totally cool about having the au pair handle playdates. While you would think that those are the ones that require my attention, it is actually the other three. The girl scout trip I have known about for months so if I cant handle that one, it is no one's fault but my own. The problems are the gymnastics shows.

Each of my daughters take gymnastics at the Little Gym (a franchise gymnastics program). If you dont have a Little Gym in your area, they dont teach competitive gymnastics, but it is a great source of exercise for the kids. Since my girls are three years apart, they are in two different classes. Each of those classes has a performance during its regular class time. This means that I need to take off two days from work to attend the two shows. The shows are not even that impressive, they are just a regular class where the parents watch. But, if you dont attend, the Little Gym has the kids convinced that their parents dont love them anymore (I know this because we missed Joanna's December show and she still brings it up when she is feeling sorry for herself).

So, I have to find a way to go to two different gymnastics shows during work hours on two different days (as well as getting out early on Friday for the girl scout trip). This did lead to a short meltdown that included tears, sobbing, and vows to quit my job (me, not the girls).

Luckily, we were able to work it out evenly. Frank will get out early and attend one show and I will take a half day and attend the other show. This way, I only lose a half day of work. This will allow me to take another half day so I can leave in time for the girl scout overnight.

No comments: